Born and raised in Napa, California when beef, not grapes or wine, was Napa Valley’s #1 agricultural product — educated in Napa schools and the University of California, Davis.
Married into a 4th generation California ranching family and now lives in Northeastern California just outside Alturas. Pete Carey and Carolyn run about 450 commercial and organic pairs and take in or purchase ~1000 yearlings on certified-organic mountain meadows each summer, where habitat is also provided for thousands of ducks and geese. They also raise organic alfalfa hay for sale to dairies and other producers.
- A Second Vice President of the California Cattlemen’s Association from 2005 – 2007
- Marketing Committee member, National Cattlemen’s Beef Association
- The Past President of the Modoc County Cattlemen’s Association
- A founder and charter member of Western Ranchers Beef Cooperative, a member of the Board of Directors and currently serving as CEO
- A founding member of the Modoc County Land Use Committee … an advisory committee to the Modoc County Board of Supervisors for the coordinated management of the Federal lands within the county’s borders (some 70+% of land within the county) for the benefit of the county’s economy and the wise, beneficial use of the land
- Developed a program, presented (with California Department of Fish & Game) to California Rangeland Trust for environmental mitigation using easements on private ranchlands instead of outright purchase by the developer (eliminating transfer of ownership to state or federal agencies) — keeps the land in the productive use that made it desirable for acquisition in the first place; allows the rancher to keep ranching, provides a manager who is familiar with the land, and keeps the land in the county’s tax base, to name a few benefits to both the ranching and environmental communities … as well as the developer
- Owner of Born & Raised in the USA®, a USDA-approved label and verification system for the promotion, tracking, and labeling of US beef, pork, lamb, fish, game, and poultry all the way to consumers
- Member of the California Beef Council, representing northern California ranchers
- Member of the board of directors, American Stewards of Liberty (formerly Stewards of the Range)
- Member of the board of directors, RANGE Conservation Foundation
- Member of the board of directors, California Rangeland Trust